There are many software programs and online tools available that give you the ability to analyse and measure your traffic. However, most experts consider Google Analytics to be the most advanced and up to date.
Google Analytics is a great tool to run on your website. It allows you to track your website traffic, see where your visitors are coming from and helps you to make informed changes to your site.
What’s more it’s free to use so all you need to do is have your web developer add the code to your website. To set up a Google Analytics account and profile visit http://www.google.co.uk/analytics
The type of information that you will be able to access is;
- Number of visitors, including unique visitors.
- Visits by day.
- Visits by keyword.
- How long visitors stay on the site.
- Which pages people visit.
- The average number of pages that are visited.
- Where the visitors are coming from e.g. Google searches, social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn etc.,) and other site links.
Benefits of Google analytics include;
- Overall site performance, see your KPIs in action.
- Monitor the impact of page content so you can understand which parts of your website are performing well and which pages are most popular so you can create a better experience for your visitors.
- Understand which online marketing campaigns (e.g. social media, PPC) are working so you can make sure you’re spending your budget effectively.
Before you delve in too far make sure you decide on your objectives, whether that be to increase sales, grow audience traffic or monitor new products or services. That will help you focus on the areas that are important to you.